The Importance of Play
“In rare moments of deep play, we can lay aside our sense of self, shed time’s continuum, ignore pain, and sit quietly in the absolute present, watching the world’s ordinary miracles.” Diana Ackerman~
Life can be messy. Hard. Hectic. Tense.
As an adult, you have responsibilities and commitments. Your days are filled with to do lists, which all too often don’t get completed. This makes you feel defeated. Somewhere during adult-hood you stopped playing. You want to do something to feel better, but can’t figure out what’s missing. The answer is to relax and play, or perhaps you should play in order to relax.
Imagine getting a better life by doing one simple thing. Play.
Play has been shown to:
Improve brain function
Develop social skills
Make you feel young
Play can be incorporated in just a few minutes a day with these five tips.
- Exercise- Just a 15-minute walk can lead to having more energy. Any form of exercise is a way to get play into your life.
- Laugh– When you play, you laugh. So laugh more. Read the comics, or watch one of the many cute dog videos on social media.
- Plan Fun- Incorporate fun in your daily routine. Take a break from work and use one of the many apps on your phone to play a game.
- Get Joy– Do something that is enjoyable to you. As you fill your life with more joy, it feels more like play. Find a hobby, take photos, write, or hang with friends.
- Be Spontaneous– Watch someone else play. Just the act of seeing people smile, laugh , and play can lead you to a place of joy.
Here are some ideas in how to create more opportunities to play:
-Play with a pet.
-Play with children
-Have a game night
-Plan a night out with painting, mini golf, or bowling
-Go to the beach or park
-Visit a craft store
So what’s stopping you? Get out and play… and make your life better!
How do you create time for more play in your life?
Lori and Louie
To read a waggleview with poet Bunny Goodjohn and her dog click HERE.